Cats And House Plants
- Thorny Plants
Other plants like for example Agaves have very sharp thorns that can
lead to wounds or even worse: eye injuries. This is particularly
dangerous for cats
if you keep thorny house plants near windows. Some of my cats are always
around the windows trying to catch flies. They could easily hurt
thorny plants while hunting for flies.
Pets And Chemicals
Another danger for cats and other pets can be fertilized water that
plants have not soaked up completely.
All my cats like to drink out of
underneath my plants and one of them is always trying to 'help' when I
am watering my plants. I am extra careful when I am feeding the plants
him locked away.
Chemical pest sprays or fungicides can of course be dangerous for
cats. It might be best to use organic or home made pest spray if
pest control with beneficial insects is guaranteed harmless for your
How To Stop Cats To Use Plants As Toilets
Another problem with cats might be that they think plant pots make
great toilets! You will have that problem particularly if you have large
with big containers. They just love to scratch in the potting compost,
spread it all over the place and use it as a toilet. That of course is
not very good
for your plants...and of course it is very messy!
The best way to combat that is with a layer of pebbles or flat stones
on top of the soil. I use stones that are at least 2 inches or bigger.
The cats are
well able to scratch the smaller stones out of their way.
House Plants Safe For Cats And Other Pets
Cat friendly house plants are neither toxic or have thorns that can
harm your pet. Choose house plants safe for cats from the list below.
For house plants toxic to cats check out our list for poisonous house plants here.
- Adiantum - Maidenhair fern
- Aechmea - Pink Urn
- Aloe vera
- Areca palm
- Aphelandra - Pineapple Plant
- Banana Tree
- Beaucarnea recurvata - Ponytail Palm
- Calathea - Prayer Plant
- Christmas Cactus
- Cissus - Russian wine
- Citrus - Orange or Lemon Tree
- Cocos nucifera - Coconut Palm
- Coffea arabica - Coffee Plant
- Crassula - Money Tree
- Cyclamen persicum - Cyclamen
- Chamaedorea elegans - Table Top Palm
- Begonia rex and other Begonia house plants
- Bougainvillea glabra - Bougainvillea
- Coleus Hybrids
- Dracaena marginata - Dragon Tree
- Ficus elastica - Rubber Plant
- Howeia - Kentia Palm
- Hoya - Wax Flower
- Impatiens - Bizzy Lizzy
- Indoor Bamboo
- Kalanchoe - Flaming Katy
- Myrtus - Myrtle
- Passiflora - Passion Flower
- Pelargonium - Geranium
- Radermachera - China Doll Plant
- Saintpaulia - African Violets
- Strelitzia - Bird Of Paradise Plant
- Sanseveria trifasciata - Mother In Law Tongue
- Spider Plant
- Tradescantia - Wandering Jew Plant
If you are interested in more detailed house plant care advice check out these books
What would you like to see next?